Translate

Friday, June 14, 2019

What if you had only one month to live?


“See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” Ephesians 5:15-16, NKJV

Would you live more intentionally than you currently do? What would you do with your remaining time, your energy, your money? Who are you surrounding yourself with? How does it affect your perspective about life? What is the highest priority for you now?

For myself, I am trying to live intentionally now. It has been a long journey that brought me to this point. I subscribe to what Paul says, “To live is Christ, to die is gain.”Philippians 1:21 This life is not easy, especially as a Christian. It’s hard to live for others and ignore the flesh. So to live; is living for Christ as a Christian, and to die; we gain Christ. Though living is harder, it is the only thing we can really do to glorify him and honor what he has done for us.

My remaining time on this earth would probably be spent making sure my children, grandchildren and other relatives were really taking this life with God seriously. Truthfully, I am not worried about my immediate family and grandchildren, but I do have relatives that I am concerned about. I am not sure that anything I would say would make a difference because I have approached most of them, but I would give it one more valiant try.

My highest priority would not change from where it is now. I am currently on this journey as a
disciple of Christ to do “what I see my Father doing”. Jesus said this: I do what I see my father doing… I didn’t use to understand this, but I finally figured out that it was like when you say... I can see him doing that. It is something a person would do. Then it all made sense.

My perspective on life would not change at this point. Before I became a Christian I was at a point that the trouble life gave me made me feel it wasn’t much worth living. I was married to an alcoholic, I worked for little reward either monetarily or personal satisfaction. It was a miserable existence. The only thing that kept me from committing suicide was my little son. He was my only purpose. Once I made a commitment to Christ my purpose became more meaningful. Not only was I responsible for my son’s life on this earth, but for his eternal soul. I tried to pull my alcoholic husband into the faith, but he was not interested.

I ended up divorcing my husband when he became violent not only to me but also my son. I moved out of state and met my current husband. Life is still hard sometimes, but I now have 40 plus years of experience living as a Christian and life does not torment me as it once did. I try to find my pleasure in the everyday things that life brings us. Following God and relationships is my top priority. Possessions don’t really bring me pleasure but relationships do. There are many things I enjoy doing that bring satisfaction. Most of them involve working with my hands. Proverbs 31: 13 She seeks wool and flax, and willingly works with her hands. (NKJV) The Bible is our handbook. We need to consider the consequences for all of our actions and non-actions.

“Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.” Proverbs 27:1, NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment