Translate

Sunday, June 9, 2019

Encouraging Teens to be Brave in Their Faith

Preparing your children to live in the world but not be of the world should start when they are small. Our family listened to Psalty the Singing Song-book tapes, and Adventures in Odyssey on the radio every day. We went to church as often as it was open and did our best to live lives that were pleasing to God. I am pretty sure my kids took on my attitudes when it came to whether or not they were able to feel empowered enough to stand for what was right; including taking a bible to school. If a parent is afraid of repercussions for their faith, then it stands to reason that your child will also suffer those doubts about their rights and responsibilities as Christians.

Students who wish to bring their bibles to school or find other ways to practice their faith may feel intimidated, but as I tell my students as a Christian teacher; I don’t quit being a Christian when I walk in the door. I can’t quit being me. I have taken the attitude, if they want to fire me I am prepared for it.

When my kids were in school I raised them to be bold in their faith; not obnoxious, but not fearful either. We would play “what if” role playing games to prepare them for the questions and comments they would get if they were witnessing to others. I would always play the devil’s advocate giving them as many “arguments” as I could; then giving them ideas on how to answer back to those arguments.

One night we were picking my husband up from work and we noticed a noisy bar nearby. My daughter said, “If I was old enough, I would get on top of a table and tell them they need to get saved.” (At about ten years old she already saw things with a black and white perspective.) I told her, what if they said I don’t believe in God?” We went through several scenarios of how to answer the questions that could come up. It was a good learning experience for them.

Just as Daniel was prepared to face the lions when he was told he could not pray for thirty days in Daniel Chapter 6, we and our children must be prepared to face the consequences if they are told they cannot take a bible to school or cannot practice their faith in one way or another. What are you prepared to do to back up your child if they get detention for bringing their bible to school? Districts that limit students from bringing their bible to school don’t know the law and can be brought to task. The separation of church and state is not the separation of church “from” state. There is a definite difference. That being said, we still have to put up with the ignorance of some school districts who incessantly work to appear politically correct. It definitely makes a difference where you live as to how “uncomfortable” one may feel in that circumstance.

As in Daniel 6. We are always going to face people who don’t like us and want to see us punished for our “perceived” offences. Daniel prayed every day and lived his life with impeccably trustworthy behavior. The other officials in the king’s court who were jealous of the king’s affection for Daniel devised a plot to catch Daniel in an act of treason. The King ignorantly followed along with the wishes of his officials outlawing prayer to anyone beside the king for the next thirty days throwing them into a den of lions as punishment. Daniel did not escape the consequence, but God was with him through it. We may not face a den of lions but that doesn’t mean that our kids won’t feel intimidated by what they are facing.

Talking to other parents, most feel that in order to have what it takes to feel comfortable bringing a bible to school has to come from within your teen. You can definitely come along beside them and support them and you should. “Our” suffering for our faith in the United States isn’t really taught in church and Sunday School. However, the ways we as Christians in America suffer for our faith is much more subtle. We are derided and ostracized, made to feel like we are out of line or out of step. We are bullied by adults and peers. As a Christian teacher I refuse to give up my faith though I don’t proselytize. I look for opportunities to share my faith seamlessly and I don’t apologize for it. I once asked a student if they wanted me to pray with them when they were very upset. I knew he was a Christian and he said yes. Another student said “That was different!” I didn’t get in trouble or hear anything about it. But the culture of that school was tolerant of “Christian” activities.

When teaching in a bigger city, however, I found myself being accosted in a passive aggressive manner. I was derided in massive emails sent to the entire staff and was undermined to the students by this person. It was a very stressful environment. Our teens can come up against the same type of sanctions. In some ways it may be easier to be overtly oppressed, but that isn’t the norm in our country. People don’t want to be seen as outrightly prejudicial, but they will practice passive aggressive ways of making other teens feel uncomfortable. As a kid I read Foxe's Book of Martyrs and was inspired by their courage. I have always had the attitude of willingness to suffer for Christ. I have tried to impart that to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment