Translate

Thursday, May 9, 2019

Obedience

When my kids were little they had a habit of putting off whatever chore I needed them to do until the last minute. They pushed me until they could see me turning red and then they knew it had gone too far and they complied. I felt like somehow I had let the lines of obedience get blurred. I didn't feel like spanking was necessary at this point because they did usually obey....eventually. It was not until I read a book called, "The Spanking Book" that I got a clear idea of what was going on. It helped me draw the lines so they were black and white. It said, "Delayed Obedience is Disobedience."

Whether it is a child putting off doing what a parent requires, a man in the military who is responsible for the safety of his men, or a worker who is simply doing their job at work, we need to understand that to delay is an act of rebellion. 
When we are called of God to do something and we run away, or simply put it off. It is disobedience. We need to teach our children this concept. The act of obedience is in some ways quite comforting. If we have explicit instructions it takes away the necessity to make decisions. It relieves us of uncertainty. I too am constantly trying to pay attention to God's leading and do what he asks. The timing could be very important in the seemingly smallest tasks. We don't see the big picture, but He does. I children got used to hearing, "Delayed Obedience is Disobedience." They didn't want to disobey because I made sure they knew disobedience was rebellion and rebellion was of Satan. It made it easier on me and them once they realized there WERE some lines after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment