Translate

Friday, May 3, 2019

Reflecting a Shining Light

“Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16, NKJV

Becoming a member of Compassionate Bloggers, they offer writing prompts to their members. I decided that this month’s prompt was worth writing about. The prompt asked who most inspired us in our faith. My person of inspiration I chose to write about is Jo Beth Hurd.

I have had many people who inspired me in my faith. My Aunt and Uncle Lynn and Ross Hardin helped me find my way back to God by being an example and giving me a couple of key books to read. A lady named Twila who led a Bible study also was a great example. People I worked with during that time that God put in my path will never know how much they influenced me. Recently, I have had some great friends like Clara Lawrence and June Middleton who have been there for me during trying times. And my husband has been a great influence through his humble giving spirit. The person I chose, however, is Jo Beth.

Jo Beth and her husband Earl pastored a little church in the Mountain Grove, and Cabool area. My husband and I had both been divorced previously and after trying to go to an Assembly of God Church, where we were treated like unforgivable sinners were invited by friends to Jo Beth’s bible study. They held it in their little home by the comfort of a wood burning stove. It was an instant feeling of family. Jo Beth and Earl both always made you feel loved, appreciated and cared about. After feeling rejected by the church where my husband and I met, it was a breath of fresh air to be around such loving people who shared the grace of God. Jo Beth loved word studies and was an avid student of the Bible. Earl was a loveable boisterous character, but Jo Beth did most of the teaching.

Jo Beth was always humble but never afraid to tackle fallacy. She was the consummate hostess. I don’t know that she ever turned anyone away. Jo Beth and Earl both were to me, Godparents. At that time my own parents were not close to the Lord and I couldn’t talk to them about my faith in the same way I could talk to Jo Beth and Earl. If I was having difficulties in any area I could go to her and she would give me scripture to ponder. I have come across several people who have spoken into my life, but Jo Beth was there at a key time and helped me and my husband through some difficult years.



No comments:

Post a Comment