Translate

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Conviction Vs. Condemnation

 I was having a conversation with my husband about the difference between conviction and condensation. They are not the same. There is more than one definition for conviction. The conviction God gives you is not unpleasant. It doesn't hurt. It is inspiring. 

The definition of conviction that correlates to the biblical version 

Conviction: is a firmly held belief or opinion:

It is not the conviction that is being found guilty and punished for something. When God puts us under conviction, we find ourselves aligned with Him. When convicted of swearing which was something I did when I was working at a factory. It wasn't because I felt condemned. It was because I WANTED to change. It convicted me because of the scripture:
1 Peter 3:4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornments, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

I wanted to be precious in the sight of God. I wanted to be found to have a gentle and quiet spirit and when I swore, I didn't feel gentle or quiet.  God used that verse to INSPIRE me to be better. THAT is conviction. 

So what is condemnation? 

  1.  the expression of very strong disapproval; censure: "there was strong international condemnation of the attack"
  2. The action of condemning someone to a punishment; sentencing
  3. The Bible says Jesus did not come to condemn us. He did not condemn the woman found in adultery, though he did say go and sin no more. I am sure she was convicted to change. 

    So don't confuse being condemned with conviction. Conviction is good. It empowers you to change. Condemnation means you deserve punishment. It leaves out the opportunity to change, thereby fulfilling the scripture through the change it causes in our lives
    .


No comments:

Post a Comment