Translate

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

The Mystery that is Prayer

Prayer is an important part of our spiritual life, and you would think since it is a central part of the life of a Christian we would know more about it. I've learned some things about prayer in my sixty-some years of life. These are just a few things in a very deep subject. Prayer works. God hears us. He is there and He cares. He wants what is best for us.
God calls us to prayer in many different ways.
We can stand in the gap but must count the cost.
Sacrificial prayer is powerful.


Prayer works:

We may not always get the answer we want but we will get the answer we need. Hindsight is the best sight. I've learned through the years to stay out of God's way. I pray for his will in all things. Only He can see the big picture and how every element of life affects everything else. I have learned to trust him through things that seem like it is not going my way because ultimately he wants the best for us and everyone else. Jesus prayed in the garden that the cup could pass from him, but ultimately prayed never less, thy will be done. It's not easy to take that stance, but leaving all our expectations up to God is the safest place we can be.

God calls us to prayer:

There are different ways that God may call us to prayer. When my baby was little I had a routine of doing my housework and then mid-morning I would take the baby, sit in my rocking chair with him and pray. Every day I did this and if something happened to mess up my routine I felt a pull like a magnet to the rocking chair. I believe it was God calling me to prayer. I valued that time and felt like He did as well. Another type of call to prayer happened in another way. For a season, when I would go to church I would feel like I couldn't take off my coat. I would feel so sad, heavy, and down...and what was weird is I didn't feel like that before I got to church. I grew weary feeling like this and went forward for prayer. A deacon told me the feeling was a burden to pray. It finally all made sense. Why didn't I ever know that could happen before? Why are we not told this information? There is so much to know about prayer.

We can stand in the gap, but must count the cost:


We can put ourselves in between a person and the enemy. My brother once was having a difficult time dealing with the death of our Grandfather. It was affecting his spiritual life, so I prayed that God would let me stand in the gap for him. Right away I got sick. But God moved on his behalf. I recovered and I wouldn't have initially thought that getting sick was a result of standing in the gap, but when I asked to stand in the gap in another instance, again, I got sick right away. Putting yourself in the gap opens you up to the attack the person you are standing in for would normally be bombarded with. It may affect different people differently, but I would warn you to count the cost. Don't take this action lightly.

Sacrificial Prayer is Powerful:


When you are in extremely painful circumstances, possibly under attack yourself, sick, or in pain and you choose to pray for someone else needs, it seems to empower your prayers. At one time I was in labor to have a baby, and while in labor I prayed for not only myself but all the other women that were in labor. (There were three other women in labor rooms nearby.) Within the hour after praying for the blessings of Abraham (an easy and speedy delivery) on myself and the other women in labor, much to the chagrin of the medical staff we all began to deliver our babies at once. I was sure that praying while in the pain of labor was somehow more powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment